Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bug v.s. Baby

The other day a colleague and I were walking through the parking lot on our way to work. Suddenly I heard her scream, "Oh No!"

I thought something was terribly wrong.

She pointed to the my foot and exclaimed, "You just stepped on a bug!"

At first I figured she was grossed out by the thought of a smashed bug on the bottom of my shoe. But then she reprimended me, "You need to be more careful and watch where you are stepping!"

I was astounded to see that she was so sensative to the life of this tiny creature.

Some weeks later, this same colleague and I were having a political discussion about two candidates who were running for president of the United States.

"I could never vote for him," she said, referring to one of the two men.

"Why not?" I asked.

Her response surprised me. "He doesn't believe in abortion."

I let her comment sink in for a few seconds, before I responded, "Why is it that you have a problem with me stepping on a bug in the parking lot, but you have no problem killing an unborn baby?"

She mumbled some jibberish about incest and rape trying to justify her support for abortion.

I reminded her that most abortions are performed simply as a method of birth control.

We haven't spoken about the subject of abortion since. I am more careful walking through parking lots, but I don't believe she has changed her position on abortion.




2 comments:

  1. Hard to understand isn't it! I found this quote by President Ronald Reagan very interesting - "I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, you should tag these posts and get a bigger audience! You are sooo smart and funny! You can reach people!!

    ReplyDelete