Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why Use Turn Indicators?

The other day I was following a car onto the freeway and I noticed that the driver was not consistent in the use of their turn-indicators. For example when they turned right to enter the freeway “On Ramp” they failed to use their indicators. However, when they were merging into traffic on the freeway they used them. Since that day I have sampled numerous individuals to learn more about why individuals do and do not use their automobile turn-indicators. Here is what I heard:

1 – “I only use my turn-indicators when I know other people are watching.”

2 – “I do not use my turn-indicators until after I start my turn. That way I really know that I am going to turn.”

3 – “Turn-indicators are only for important turns, like when the police are watching.”

4 – “I never use turn-indicators. It is too hard to remember to turn them off.”

5 – “I stopped using them since nobody really pays attention to them when I do use them.”

6 – “Mine don’t work.”

7 – “A friend of mine told me that it is safer not to use them since they sometimes cause accidents.”

8 – “I was taught to drive using hand signals so I never learned to use the electric ones.”

9 – “I didn’t know that they were required.”

10 – “I don’t need them. People can see when I am turning.”

11 – “I have never been in an accident so why start now?”

12 – “The clicking sound annoys my wife.”

13 – “I never drive at night.”

14 – “I don’t need them since I always make sure the way is clear before I turn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment