Sunday, May 31, 2009

Open Your Eyes Lady Justice


Barak Obama recently provided insight into the criteria he plans to use to select judges for the US Supreme Court. Here is part of what he said...

"We need somebody who's got the heart to recognize -- the empathy to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom, the empathy to understand what it's like to be poor or African-American or gay or disabled or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."

The essential problem with what Obama is saying here, is that he never mentioned the words "Law" or "Constitution". I have been asked to serve on juries before and each time the judge wanted to make sure that I would base my decision on the "Law" and "Truth". I don't remember him asking me anything about "empathy". I suspect if I had told him I would base my decisions on "empathy" I would have disqualified myself from consideration on that jury.

I thought Lady Justice was supposed to be blind. According to Obama, she must remove her blindfold before making a decision. So much for the rule of law.


1 comment:

  1. Remove her blindfold for the young teenage mom, the poor blacks and gays and the disabled and old. The rest of us better just hang on for dear life it seems, and hope nothing ever happens that lands us in court while he is in office! I think justice lost out a long time ago actually!
    Check out the following link Will sent me if you think that policy is bad:
    http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/03/17/veterans-groups-call-obama-veterans-health-plan-unconscionable/
    The man is an idiot.

    ReplyDelete